Pro Tip: Multiple Live Versions

Dain Binder

You can have more than one .apk in production. Within the Google Play Developer Console go to the APK page for your app and click "Switch to advanced mode".

Now you can upload a new .apk then publish it and the previous one will still be live. Previous APKs can be moved into production and you can deactivate production versions. The user will automatically get the highest version number available that is compatible with their Android device.

By doing this you can run AppYet Version 3.1.3 (Android API Level 14+ | Android 4.0+) and still keep your previous version from AppYet 3.0.43 (Android API Level 9+ | Android 2.3+).

This ensures potential new app users that are on Android 2.3+ (but less than Android 4.0) will be able to find and install the app from Google Play even after 4.0+ version is live. (Note: Android 4.0+ users will see and get the newest version.)

joseph raphael

@Dain Binder thanks for this tip, I know about it but the problem is.. I am worried and I have to way to test this, because I don't own any 2.3 devices. Are you sure about this ?

Dain Binder

@Dain Binder thanks for this tip, I know about it but the problem is.. I am worried and I have to way to test this, because I don't own any 2.3 devices. Are you sure about this ?
@joseph raphael, yes. I have tested and all works well. You can even see that my app, when viewed on the web, shows "varies with device" under current version, size, and Android required. When viewed in the Google Play app you would see the details specific to the device being used.