"Visit Website" Open Within App

Zac F.

A lot of apps now have web browser built into the app. This means the links open up faster AND you can display AdMob even when user clicks to go to source website.

Could be worth a try. I employ some developers for another project and they added this to my app quickly/easily. Should be easy to do. This is especially important because most RSS feeds now only show a short description instead of full article.

joseph raphael

A lot of apps now have web browser built into the app. This means the links open up faster AND you can display AdMob even when user clicks to go to source website.

Could be worth a try. I employ some developers for another project and they added this to my app quickly/easily. Should be easy to do. This is especially important because most RSS feeds now only show a short description instead of full article.

Well, first these RSS feeds content are not yours to monetize.
second, opening websites using In-App browsers and displaying ads on top is a clear violating to Google Admob and Google Adsense TOS.
thirdly, these are not your websites and you have no permission to use / monetize their content.

Also, you said that "...links open up faster..." while using In-App. Actually this is wrong, because the In-App browser is actually the Android System Webview (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.webview&hl=en) which is separated from Chrome browser, it has its own cookies and cache, so websites will be a little slower even if the user is visiting this website regularly on his default browser (Chrome) because it doesn't have it cached.

The cache gets cleared if the users uninstalled - re-installed the App, it also don't keep the user log-in information when he quits the App (facebook, google+, twitter... etc) so he won't be able to like +1 or tweet anything unless he log-in again.

Zac F.

As far as violating Google Play policies -- that is a fair point. Perhaps you wouldn't be able to display an ad on that screen but I still believe the ability to open up the full article directly in the app through an in-app browser would be a positive change for the user experience.

Your comment about permission is an incorrect assumption. I own some of the sites in my feed and I have written permission for the use of the others. My content sources view the arrangement as mutually beneficial because their feeds only show a snippet of content, thus my app sends them 20,000+ users per month. My app effectively functions as a marketing tool for them.

Last edited:

joseph raphael

You make an awful lot of assumptions in your response -- I would advise you to not to.

Firstly, I have explicit permission to use the feeds I use. You are wrong in that assumption. I own two of the sites and have written permission for the others.

Secondly, you are also wrong about the sites loading more slowly on an in-app browser. As I said in my original post, I have tested applications utilizing this method and it is substantially faster to load a website within the app simply because you are not launching a completely separate app to load the site. I've seen this done and it is absolutely faster.

Assumptions ?? no, I have been with appyet with more than a year and an Android developer for more than 4 years, I know exactly what I am talking about,

- The whole reason appyet made this warning on web module to prevent users from disabling ads on web modules... EVEN if you have permission.
OnPaste.20150924-171330.png

- If you already own these websites then you can display ads on them directly, instead of displaying admob on top which violates Admob TOS.

- In-App browser is just a webview and it doesn't use the default browser cache, it has its own cache (separated), so the first time the user will open a website it will load slowly but will be faster after this, even if the users already have this website cached on his Chrome browser. Same thing goes for the passwords, logins, auto-fill details. Android 6.0 Marshmallow fixed this issue. It will be fast for you because you already have it cached

- In other hands, what you are asking for can be done using jquery.

Regards,

Zac F.

Allow me to apologize - I think I misunderstood your original post to mean that you were accusing me of illegally using RSS feeds on my app. That is not the case. I have permission from my content sources.

I do not use the web module -- only the RSS module. I think that's where the confusion was and I apologize for that.

joseph raphael

Allow me to apologize - I think I misunderstood your original post to mean that you were accusing me of illegally using RSS feeds on my app. That is not the case. I have permission from my content sources.

I do not use the web module -- only the RSS module. I think that's where the confusion was and I apologize for that.

It's ok. Anyway, your idea can be done by enabling jquery and putting this code on the header code section.

Code:
<script>$("a.appyet_visitwebsite").attr('target','_self');</script>

Also make sure to set the feed settings like in the screenshot below.
OnPaste.20150924-190424.png

sakthig

Can any one tell me how to change the default text "Visit Website" into "Read Full Post" .Thanks in advance!

sakthig

I already posted that before on some other topic, it's very easy, just use jquery on extra header
Sorry i can't locate the particular thread.And i am newbie to this forum ,can you please share the snippet or direct me with the right information.Thanks in advance!

joseph raphael

Sorry i can't locate the particular thread.And i am newbie to this forum ,can you please share the snippet or direct me with the right information.Thanks in advance!

no problem, I just told you the solution, check the "Include JQuery:" option on the feed setting, then put your replacement code with the text you want on the extra header textarea.

sakthig

I have updated the code and made build but it seems the option is not changed with the output!
visit_website.png