Do not show Interstitial ad to NEW user for "X" days or "X" hours

Zac F.

Capture.PNG

Above is a graph of my daily uninstalls on my app. I have about 30,000 active users, so it is not uncommon to see lots of daily uninstalls (as long as there are more installs than uninstalls).

On September 11th, I added interstitial ads to this app. You can see the little update icon on the graph, there.

As you can see, I have seen a substantial spike in uninstalls on my app since the interstitials were added. The big spikes you see there are Sundays when I also have a spike in installs. You can see that same spike prior to September 11th... only smaller by ~50 users or so.

My theory is that new users are installing the app and they're being hit with an interstitial ad after the first page load. I have it set to wait 8 hours before showing ANOTHER ad, but they're being hit with that first one right away. I wonder if new users see that first interstitial within 30 seconds and they get annoyed and are just uninstalling the app?

Is there a way to make it so users who recently downloaded the app do not see an interstitial ad for a pre-determined number of hours?